Page 97

"Coming home from school on Friday evening we saw quite a gathering at the post office. The mail carrier from Quinault was telling of seeing a large herd of elk crossing his trail some four miles north. We suggested that a few of them could easily be caught, the younger ones having trouble to cross over fallen trees.

I volunteered to try the hunt with three woodsmen. Saturday morning we started out with lunch, ropes, and hay. The elk had nothing to feed on for five days, and when we overtook and tied two fine male elk, they ate hay out of our hands.

The homeward trip was full of unexpected happenings. When crossing the Humptulips on a large footlog, one of the elk jumped down into the river, and had to be re-captured at the ford down-stream.

We arrived late that night at Humptulips. Fred Williams, the storekeeper, had a high-fenced lot beside his store which he offered us the use of - for the safekeeping of the two captives. Several weeks later the two were sold to be used as a State Exhibit at the World's Fair at Chicago. (Fred Williams, himself, had five or six captive elk.)

About the middle of the term two of the boys, Roy and Rube (Theodore) Quinn, invited me to spend the night with them and their parents. I think Mr. Quinn was a member of the school board. Mrs. Quinn proved herself a most gracious hostess.

The boys and I slept in the attic. About daybreak Mrs. Quinn called the boys to come, as a large bear was on the footlog, thus shutting off the water supply of the family. Rube, 13 years of age, donned his trousers. His brother did likewise. Both boys pulled the triggers of their Winchesters at the same time. But they didn't kill the bear, so one fired again.

Thinking they were having trouble, Mr. Quinn came to the rescue. The boys didn't even boast of their venture at school that day.

We had a parent-teacher meeting one afternoon. At the appointed hour the pupils were dismissed. They asked permission to dance on the green. A good musician with a harmonica was there. A caller was also in that school. In just a few minutes the quadrille was in full swing. The music, the caller, and the rhythmic, movement immediately proved the cynosure of all the parents present. The entire affair was beautiful. Nowadays people pay to see the same circus - nicknamed the "barn dance". Native talent was the magic that made it a success."