Page 87


In 1888, as already mentioned, the Lindsays came from California to join the Angelos, Mrs. Lindsay, the former Anna Loughrey, being a niece of Mrs. Angelo. The family consisted of James R. (Jim) and wife Anna, and children, Roy, Charles (born 1883), Ethel, James,Jr., and Joe. Later, Mrs. Linsay's sister Millie Loughrey and her parents arrived. The Loughreys cooked in the Hanson Logging camp at Axford for awhile. Millie later married Miles Newbury.

In April, 1944, Charley Lindsay wrote:

"I well remember the April of 1888 when we first moved into the Humptulips country. Mr. J.P. Sudderth moved us in over the old muddy road from New London to our place (now the Cap Johnson place). He was driving a black mare and a mule. When we were starting down a hill, he would speak to the mare, saying, "Hold it, Jewell". It took us all day to reach the Sudderth place at Axford. It was dark when we got there, cold and wet, for it had rained all day. Next day we went to Angelo's place on the Humptulips River, where we stayed with my aunt until our house was built. That same year Chris and Anton Hanson came in and stayed with us. I was five years old at the time. Boy was the fishing good ! I remember our chief diet was salmon and potatoes and elk meat.

The following year Harry Evans took the adjoining claim and started to build a house. That year school was held in our house, with my mother (Anna Lindsay) as the first teacher. The Brittains and the Walkers from Axford were the only pupils besides her own children. About that time the Roberts, Johnson, Newbury, Newnham, and George Walker families moved in. The Evans family arrived in 1890. The Humptulips River cut through both the Lindsay and the Evans places.

Jim Lindsay built his first house on the south side of the river. After it burned he built on the Prairie to be nearer the school.

As soon as logging became feasible, Lindsay and Harry Evans formed the Lindsay and Evans Logging Company and began cutting timber on their own property. Elzy White and Cap. Johnson were working for them. They were the first outfit to bring a Dolbeer engine into Humptulips. Jim Lindsey was helping bring it in over the road when he was suddenly taken ill. The men took him to the hospital in Hoquiam but he died - propbably of a burst appendix.

Of the Lindsay children, Roy remained a bachelor; Charles married a niece of the Irelands of Montesano (Alice by name); Ethel married Lloyd West."