"Kate loved children. Having none of their own, the Murhards would have adopted one or two had there been a school on their side of the river. However, Kate "mothered" a number of children. Not only did her niece and nephew, Edith and Roswell Horr, enjoy their vacations on the ranch, but also Bryan Cogdill returned from Hoquiam to spend one happy summer there. For months at a time she kept Orpha Silvey, or Crystal Mohr from Quinault, or the Eversham boys from Hoquiam. Between times she lavished her affection on her pet cocker spaniel, Flossie.
In 1940, at the fifteenth annual picnic of the Humptulips Pioneers, Kate Murhard was crowned queen by Roy Sargent, then Mayor of Aberdeen. During the parade from the Loomis store to the school grounds, the Queen rode in an old-time buckboard driven and owned by Luther Kirkpatrick.
In 1957, the Humptulips Pioneers gave a surprise party at Harry Loomis' apartment in Hoquiam, honoring Mrs. Murhard on her ninetieth birthday."
CHASE & OGDEN
In 1888 the William B. Ogden family came to Portland from Oklahoma. Soon thereafter, Mrs. Ogden's father, "Doctor" O.G. Chase, disposed of his property there and also came to Portland. Hearing much talk of the Grays Harbor country, he made a trip there and fell in love with the water the the country surrounding. So he wrote the Ogdens in Portland, and in May 1889, they joined him in Hoquiam.
Shortly after, through a tip from Gust Murhard, Chase and Ogden purchased the Humptulips Prairie from John Angelo, and laid out town lots. That was the beginning of Humptulips City.
Dr. Chase himself took a preemption on Hemlock Ridge, six miles above New London. He was the instigator and President of the Townsite Company of Quinault, composed of two Stanfield brothers, two Peeler brothers, and a number of Hoquiam businessmen. Not enough lots were sold to make that townsite a success.
Dr. Chase was appointed first Postmaster at Lake Quinault, but turned the job over to his assistant, A.V. Higley.
Chase owned the "Veranda", an early-day rooming house in Hoquiam, at the corner of 6th and J Streets. He later sold it to Ingram, of Quinault. Kate and Gust Murhard operated it in 1911-1912.