Page 80

"On another occasion Gust decided to drive a team of oxen to New London after provisions, instead of using the canoe. After the first night, a skiff of snow fell. The oxen were not shod, and the rounding logs of the puncheon road were so slippery that the animals slid back often as much as they went forward.

And, when they came to a bridge they had to be unhitched and let across separately. In consequence, a trip that ordinarily took three days, took five. Hearing nothing, I was worried. However, Gust had sent word by me by a settler who was traveling faster on foot, but he did not tell me until an hour before Gust arrived.

I was the first Humptulips settler to make the trip to Aberdeen in one day. George Hubbell and wife, with their baby Viola, had settled on a claim three miles above our place. He left the wife and child alone a good deal, to hold down the homestead. But when he went to Olympia to prove up on his timber claim, Gust went along as a witness while Mrs. Hubbell and the baby stayed with me.

Subsequently, Mr. Hubbell came along and asked to borrow Gust's canoe. I had been wanting to visit my sister Tena in Aberdeen. Although Gust didn't like to lend the canoe, he said he could use it if he would take me along.

He agreed and we paddled and poled down the river. When we reached the Indian village at the mouth of the Humptulips, he hired a rowboat. The wind was blowing strong, so he put up sticks and improvised sails out of gunnysacks. By rowing and sailing we crossed the Harbor to Hoquiam in short time. As we approached the dock he saw that a tug was about to cast off. He attracted the captain's attention and he took me aboard and on to Aberdeen. It was just luck that I caught that tug, otherwise I would have had to stay overnight in Hoquiam.

On one occasion when I was riding in on the mail wagon over the puncheon road I found myself standing up holding the seat which had come unclamped from the wagon box. Another time we passed a young man carrying a bicycle on his shoulder. "This beats walking", he remarked. This was on a stretch of puncheon road between Hoquiam and New London. Beyond that he could ride. On several occasions I walked from New London home."