Page 74

"Meanwhile my older sister Tena, with her husband Myron Horr and little daughter Edith Lucile, had come West and taken a claim in the Wynoochee Valley, ten miles from Montesano. Tona kept writing for me to come. During the winter of 1887 there had been a bad depression in Michigan, so I decided to migrate.

I took the train to Washington Territory in April, 1888, coming to Tenino over the newly completed Northern Pacific, then taking a narrow gauge road into Olympia. From there I rode thirty-four miles to Montesano in the 'stage' - an open freight wagon - over an unimproved road. Enroute we stopped for dinner at Blockhouse Smith's near Oakville. When I asked what I owed, the proprietor said, 'Four bits.' I looked so blank that he explained, 'Fifty cents, Miss.'

Previous to my arrival on the Harbor, my brother-in-law had contacted Gust Murhard, a locator he had met in the Wynoochee Valley, who had recently staked a homestead on the Humptulips river. Impressed with the claim just above Gust's, Myron went back to Montesano and filed on it for me by proxy.

I reached Montesano May 1st, engaged a room and went out dress-making to get a little ready cash. In September, having secured title to their preemption on the Wynoochee, Myron, Tena, and three-year-old Edith accompanied me to the Humptulips to help me build a cabin.

We took a boat from Montesano to Hoquiam, which in 1888 consisted of a few houses raised on stilts above the high water mark, the Northwestern Mill, and their General store. We then purchased our winter supplies and such household equipment as we absolutely had to have, then continued seven miles up the Hoquiam River in a gasoline launch. At New London we stayed all night in the warehouse, sleeping on the floor.

The following day, Mr. Angelo, with a team of horses and a freight wagon, hauled us as far as his place, which was about five miles from my claim. His daughter Amy had been married just for a few days before we came through and had moved to Olympia. Leaving the provisions and scant household goods with Angelo, we walked four miles carrying the little girl and enough food to last us until the next day. That night we camped under a tree across the river from Brittains."