One of the first settlers was W. A. Dawson, who came in 1883 and settled on Axford Prairie.
Lucy Duvall's place was just below Capt. Thompson's on the road from New London to Axford.
John Bockover, his wife, and small children, and her mother, Mrs. Baldwin, lived for a time on a forty-acre tract, but relinquished it to Sadie and Proctor Brown of Humptulips. After Mrs. Walker's death, Sadie was appointed Postmaster. She had a clever scheme whereby if she were not in the cabin, settlers could help themselves to their mail. She named a separate stump for each family, and placed their mail there in a covered tin can. Axford was probably the only post office in the United States that operated on that plan.
Seth Traver had a claim near Robert Robinson and Billy Dawson on Sutton Prairie.
Along about 1892, R. J. Robinson, a Pennsylvania Dutchman took a claim at Axford. He was a bachelor, but later married a Swiss girl who was working at the Bay View Hotel in Hoquiam. They had several children born on the Prairie. Mrs. DeWitt Boyd, of the Promised Land, nursed Mrs. Robinson through her first confinement in 1895.
In 1902, when Mrs. E. E. Fishel arrived, she was greeted by Mrs. John Bockover, Mrs. Swewith, and Mrs. C. C. Hanson.
Luther Kirkpatrick and wife also lived there for a time, and tried sheep raising. They couldn't compete with the bear.
In the early 1900's a group of Croatian farmers began buying up the land from the pioneer families around Axford. When asked how this came about, an immigrant gave the following explanation:
"Since Croatia borders on the Adriatic Sea, a large majority of the men are sea-faring. Due to conscription of 18 year-olds for the army, many families left the country. They naturally migrated to the Pacific Coast where fishing was a big industry, coming first to Seattle and San Francisco. Later they discovered Grays Harbor and liked it. Letters praising this northwest country influenced others to join them. They came in sizable numbers to Aberdeen and Cosmopolis, and later spread to Axford which is now predominantly a Croatian settlement."