Page 48

"Old Kettle" as he was called, was an Indian with only one eye. He was a captive of the Humptulips Tribe. Some say he was captured in a war down around the Columbia. Others, that his canoe upset and he was washed ashore. When crazed by "firewater" he was known to have killed several Indians. He did not, however, bother the whites. Chief Tamooya gave him freedom of action, but no voice in tribal councils. Eventually, it is reported, Old Kettle murdered the Chief and acquired his squaws and his ranch.

In those days, Indians lived at vaious points along the Humptulips River, especially around Deep Creek. But these original squatters never acquired title to their lands because the Government sold big blocks of timberland to the large Holding Companies instead of throwing it open for homesteading. Even had it been offered for settlement, the Indians could not have "proved up" as they were not citizens.

While holding down his claim, John Walker taught the Axford school one year. In 1885, he organized the Presbyterian church in Hoquiam, which first met in a warehouse, and later in a building at 10th and I Sts.

In 1886, having married Jeanette "Nettie" Morrison, of St. Johns, New Brunswick, John brought her to Hoquiam. Shortly before his death in 1895, they moved back to Forest Grove. Nettle Walker returned to the Harbor and became librarian of Aberdeen, and first county Superintendent of Schools of Chehalis County.

In the meantime, Marcus Whitman Walker, brother of John and Abagail, had been teaching in the vicinity of Forest Grove and had married Miss Sarah Margaret Junkin, better known as "Maggie". Her people were English Covenanters. Since they were opposed to doing military service for Cromwell's government, they were made political outcasts. They came to America very early, settling in Maine. Some of their descendents moved westward to Ohio, and later to Iowa where Sarah Margaret was born. In the 1850s her family moved to Oregon where she married Marcus Walker in 1868.

They lived for a time at a little town called Weston (now extinct) near Salem. Later moved to Warm Springs where Marcus was Indian Agent. He also operated a saw mill with Indian labor. From there they moved to Shedd, Oregon, twelve miles south of Albany. To them were born six sons: Herman, and Jeremiah at Weston, two others that died in infancy, and at Shedd, Richard Elkanah in 1878, and John in 1880.