Page 43

"Mr Sudderth's father was George. His mother was Elsie Vaughn, born in the Carolines in 1844. They married and raised ten children, and died on the same farm near Atlanta, Georgia, at a small place called Beauford.

James Sudderth fought through the Civil War with the South in Longstreet's Division, entering when but sixteen years of age. He was with Lee when he surrendered his army to Grant. He was with the artillery, and fired the first gun from Lookout Mountain in Tennessee, near Chattanooga. Went through all the big battles. Marching, they passed through twenty-two snows in one winter. Though he never received any wounds during the entire war, his feet were left in bad shape from chillblains. After the war he came to work on farms in Texas where I met him and married him - October 9, 1880.

In October, 1881, with our small baby, we left Texas driving a team. My brother drove the other team. We crossed Oklahoma to Muskogee, sold the two teams for a good price, and took a Northern Pacific emigrant train to Oakland, California. Ferried across to San Francisco, and waited three days for the boat, 'Geo. W. Elder' to Seattle. Had a very rough trip, taking a week to make it. We were blown off the route day and night. Took a small boat to Olympia, reaching there on December 15th after dark. It was raining hard, and there were no street lights. We stayed at Young's Hotel.

We moved out to Davey Chambers' place, where the baby died. Mr. Sudderth went to work in camp, and we moved back to town. There our second daughter, Eoline, was born, May 5, 1885.

In Olympia, Mr. Sudderth met Joe Kelley who told him in glowing terms of the farming land down in the Grays Harbor country. Having been a farmer all his life, Mr. Sudderth was interested.

While in Olympia, we became acquainted with the Clydes and the Brittains, the men working together in logging camp.

I saw the Brittain family the day they moved to Tumwater. Mrs. Brittain was walking with the children, while the household goods were loaded on the wagon. She was crying. Had just received word that her sister Alice had passed away in the East. I watched where they moved and soon called on them. We became fast friends down through the years.

One January afternoon in 1883, while still living in Tumwater, we saw a large bull elk just across the oat-field from the house. Mr. Sudderth rushed in after his .44 Winchester. Then he sneaked down into a crabapple thicket and, taking aim, fired. But when the elk failed to drop he got so excited that he fired eleven shots before it fell. This elk was so old we couldn't use the meat. But it had the largest horns I ever saw. We sent them to Dr. Warren Riley, at Olympia, who was a friend of ours, and a pioneer doctor, well known by all old settlers.

We moved to Axford a year after the Clydes."