Page 41

"Next day we made better headway and reached Louie Duvall's cabin, about two miles from Big Creek, the first one we had seen since we left Millroy's. There we ate our first elk meat and spent the night. The following morning we crossed Big Creek and made it to Capt. William Thompson's place about noon. He asked us to stay the night, but Mother was anxious to see her new home, we we went on.

Dad, of course, knew what to look for, as he had built the cabin the previous year. It stood on a little prairie of about ten acres, just a quarter of a mile from Big Creek. It was made of big logs, and you could crawl through any place, as there was no floor yet.

Joe Kelly, who had come first in the Quinault, located Father on his place. Joe was a small man, but had muscles as hard as steel. Everywhere he went, his 45.60 Winchester rifle was sure to go. Mr. Kelly was doing everything he could to get a trail from the head of the West Hoquiam river. He and Andy Smith spent a week blazing a route for a road to run north from New London. Mr. Kelly got help from the county, and they cut a pack trail twelve miles to Big Creek. After that one could make the round trip in a day. The trail we came over took two days. The credit goes to Joe Kelly for getting the new trail. Joe located a lot of pioneers.

In the 1890s, Joe Kelly crossed from Humptulips to Quinault through the woods, being the first man to do it."

Richard Walker says:

"In cruising this route for a road, Kelly's idea was to keep to the high land to avoid water - regardless of the distance. There were three places where a side trail led down to water, but greenhorns coming in didn't know they should take advantage of them. In consequence they were about famished for a drink.

Kelly had a neighbor by the name of DeArcy Kirk. He was a good dance fiddler. Kelly was suspicious of him and blamed everything that happened onto Kirk. One spring Kelly's potatoes blighted. He showed them to a neighbor and swore that someone nearby had taken hot water and deliberately poured it on his potato patch."

Joe Clyde says:

"The timber wolves roamed in a large pack there, but Mr. Kelly poisoned them by the hundreds. After the first year they were seldom seen."

By the time Lizzie Ann Clyde had a chance to go to school at Axford, she was embarrassed over her age.To save face she declared herself to be younger than she actually was. Then when she reached twenty-one she filed on a homestead. But a man jumped it, claiming she wasn't of age. In those days it was easier to buy off a jumper than it was to go to Olympia for a trial. So, Mr. Clyde paid, and Lizzie Ann kept her claim.

Once, when she was returning home from Hoquiam with her father, he became sick and had to stop at a deserted cabin on the road beyond New London. Although it was night and pitch dark, Lizzie Ann was determined to get home. She walked the muddy road through woods infested with cougar, falling down seven times. When asked if she wasn't wet all over she replied that there was a patch on her chest that was dry.

When she went to Montesano to prove up on her claim she met a man by the name of Snyder - married him and moved to Olympia.