"In 1891 Capt. O.P. Burrows took a party of eight by sailboat up the Humptulips River to look over land in the valley."
Old-timers say that he doubtless was able to navigate eight or ten miles inland on a tide- perhaps as far as Deep Creek. But that was still a long distance from Stevens Priairie (later Humptulips City) which lies some four miles North of Axford Priairie and twenty-two from the mouth of the Humptulips.
In those days the trail from New London to Stevens Prairie cut through sixteen miles of virgin forest, making the overall distance from Hoquiam, twenty-three miles.
By trail up the East Hoquiam river, however, the distance was nearly twenty-nine miles.
Over this latter trail in 1883, came Joe Clyde, Sr. who located on Axford Prairie. After building a log cabin 16 x 20, he returned to his family for the winter.
Early in the spirng of 1884, with his wife and six children - George the baby, Tillie next, then Robert, Tom, Lizzie Ann, and Joe,Jr. - he left Bush Prairie in Thurston County for his homestead at Axford. Their household belongings and some chickens were loaded on two wagons. Trailing behind were Barney, the pony, Frank, the white ox, and a cow.
Joe Clyde, Jr. describes their trip as follows:
"Progress was slow over the old Hicklin road. The first night we reached the Lobar place where Mr. and Mrs. Bowayer, friends of ours, lived. They made us welcome for the night. Next morning we started for Montesano and made good progress, as it was down-hill most of the way and easy on the teams.
When we got to Montesano we loaded our goods on a passenger and freight boat, and started for Hoquiam where we stayed that night. We stored most of the heavy things there.
Next morning, Father hired a small scow onto which was loaded the horse, cow, ox, and such things as we took along. Also, the family of four boys and two girls and Mother."