Page 32


THE ELLINGSON FAMILIES



In 1889, Amund Ellingson purchased the McGillicuddy place and began logging with oxen. With mill lumber cut from his own logs, he built a two-story house spacious enough for his large and growing family, which later included eleven children. Many of his logs were not No. 1. and were rejected by the mill which in those days accepted only the best fir. However, the superintendent had a heart and offered to cut a lot of rejects for almost nothing - $1.00 per thousand.

Accordingly, Ellingson had large quantities of four inch and two inch planks which he used to floor a wharf, build a warehoue, lay a sidewalk up the hill to the house, and cover an area around the barn. The warehouse on the deck was never locked, and travelers were welcome to use it. It was customary for boats to unload freight there to be picked up later by settlers.

Nearby, the Gillis and the Mack Logging camps were in operation. It is said that Mack used a six-yoke ox-team in constructing his skid road. Due to its geographical location, the Ellingson house became the overnight stopping place for early Peninsula pioneers. Not only did they patronize the 'hotel' itself, but many a man, and even a few women, rolled in blankets and slept for a night on the hard planking of that warehouse.

To Lena and Amund Ellingson were born the following children:

Ernie
Ella Consoliver
Annie Connell
Emma Reasoner
Eva Galusha
Alice Johnston
Ole
Bennett
Harold
Floyd
and Marie Jacks