Page 313

Another time when the girls were visiting us, the dog salmon were thick in the river. The boarder took a brush-hook to pull one out and cut the fish in two, capturing only the tail end. "Oh well," he said, "It'll grow another tail." "Will it, really?" the girls asked, innocently.

Charley (Streater) and I lived in the Queets Valley until 1920 when we moved to Hoquiam that we might send our two sons to High School. In town, Mr. Streater engaged in papering and painting.

In 1930 sister Margaret and her husband, Ransom Higley, moved onto the old Donaldson homestead, Father having died in 1929. He is buried in Hoquiam, as is also Jim who died in 1928.

Mrs. Streater also recalls her early neighbors on the Clearwater: Walter Fitch; William Prentice and wife Emily and four children (Harry, George, Alberta, and Russell); then J. J. Robinson, and Krauteramar on the north side. On the south were Barnhart; Seth Hurst, and in 1897, Benson L. Northup.


(By Ade Fredericksen, in the Aberdeen World)

In the spring of 1897, Benson Northup, pioneer Seattle city official, school teacher, and printer, who in 1876 published the first directory of frontier Seattle and its 3,700 people, decided to take his children where they could acquire homestead land as they grew of age. He had heard of the wonders of the Clearwater and Queets valleys and set off alone to look over the country and investigate a job as school teacher.

He came by train, alighting at the depot, then in East Aberdeen, where the L. G. Isaacson store now stands. He went to Hoquiam via an old plank road from Division Street in Aberdeen to the present site of the Eighth Street bridge, where he ferried across the Hoquiam.

Here he boarded the little steamer "Thistle" captained by H. A. Benham, for the trip to Oyehut, and from there rode on a wagon which carried lumber, mail, freight, and passengers to Taholah. He stopped a night at Grigsby's ranch near Copalis. From Copalis to Taholah the beach was spotted with wooden tripod towers 20 to 40 feet high, from which hunters shot sea otters, the skins of which were valued at from $200.00 to $400.00.