Page 310

Jane Donaldspm says:

"In 1901 my maternal grandparents, the Gowans, came from Soctland to live with us. As they were then about sixty-five years of age, it was quite an experience for them. Once when wolves came into the clearing the dog barked and barked until they went back. Then one wolf attacked the dog. Grandpa Gowans thought it was just another dog fighting ours, so he chased it off with his cane. But our poor dog died from his wounds. And the next day we saw the tracks of a wolf. The Gowans lived in the eighties.

At the age of eighteen, brother Jim went to Seattle to learn the machinist trade. Then sister Margaret married Ransom Higley in Seattle in June, 1904. On November 30th of that same year I was married to Charles Streater. The ceremony was perfomed by A. V. Higley, Justice of the Peace, in the Clarence Read home. This was the house built by Mr. J. J. Bant when he first came to the Queets.

Although the day was stormy, everyone in the Valley attended our wedding. After supper we danced the balance of the night, so no one could go home in the dark. We managed to buy sugar from the Indians for the wedding cake, but could get only five pounds. We had a nice supper anyway.

After our marriage, Charles and I lived at my father's home for a year. Then we moved to Aberdeen where our first son Fred was born, in May, 1906. In June we returned to the Queets to a home of our own - the Bertha Wartman homestead - five miles above my father's place.

The baby, being only a month old, we bought an Indian basket, put diapers, clothes and other necessities in the bottom, and laid him on top. Then the basket was fastened onto a pack saddle, and Mr. Streater carried it on his back. A coat thrown over it made a sort of tent for the baby.

Two years later we were again in Aberdeen for the birth of our second son, William Gowan. This time Charley made a chair for the older boy, Fred, to ride in, and packed both chair and boy on his back. The Ranson Higleys accompanied us and helped us canoe up the Queets.