Page 31

The Owl Lodge occupied the Hermans Building. The Board of Trade was next door in 1890. George Emerson & Samuel Barnett had offices nearby. Peel was the first policeman. King was pawn master. He had two young daughters. I also recall Bowleys and Honest John Richardson. R. E. Olson had a carpenter shop in the 600 block of Lincoln. I think one of the Ellingson girls owned the lot where Arthauds Real Estate office is now located. Harry Evans used to carry the mail to Humptulips.

Kidaldies lived right on the bend of the Hoquiam where it branches east and north. Kiraldie was Captain of the "Tillie" to Montesano. Capt. Thompson, of the "Market Boy" to New London. Alex Holman was blacksmith for many years. Sandborn was Captain of the bar tug, "Printer". Capt. Harrison made the run to Westport. Capt. Olson ran the "Traveller" of Montesano. Capt. Wilson operated the "Harbor Belle" and the "Harbor Queen", first owned by the Smith boys and later purchased by Stockwell. Stockwell also had a tow boat, the "Skookum".

Harry Byng married Rebecca Plumetz, a French Huguenot refugee, of Charleston, S. Carolina. Following her death, Harry lived alone until past a hundred years of age, then entered a nursing home. He had a brother who once lived on Oak Street in Aberdeen.

Byng says:

"The Humtulips Indians used to come down and live on the banks of the Hoquiam River to fish. They caught trout at the bend of the river.

Chief Tamooya took out citizenship papers and filed on a claim near Axford. But, he finally came up missing. It was rumored that another Indian, Old Kettle, had tied him to a tree, but he got loose. Five or six months later. Tamooya disappeared again. His squaw and horses were located down at the Indian village at the mouth of the Humptulips. Old Kettle was always suspected of doing away with Tamooya, but there was no proof. However, he took over the chief's widow and his land, and lived on the claim in the summers.

Another Indian, Jim Cox, was known as 'Humptulips Jimmie'. He lived in various places, for a while, on the lower edge of Stevens Prairie. HIs wife did washing for the whites, and his daughter attended school. At other times he lived on a place near Axford. He always came to fish on the Hoquiam. His children were Billy, Charles, and Nancy.

George Underwood was half white.

About the time that O'Leary came to the Harbor, the Chenois Tribe of Indians had a battle with the James Rock Indians and killed them all."

Richard Walker recalls hearing in the early days that a war canoe filled with Quilleute Indians came down the coast to James Rock on the warpath. The James Rock Indians, who were few in number, saw them coming and hid out. There were only about ten or twelve families of them, so they didn't have a chance.