Page 298

"Once Mother sent me upstairs for a slab of bacon. I found it pretty heavy for a little girl. I didn't want to back down the ladder with it, so I sat down with it in my lap and started to slide from one rung to the next. But the ladder slipped clear down to the floor with me on it, and gave my back a terrific jolt. I didn't get over it for a long time.

We lived in that house for many years. We used the old cabin for storage, but, due to rotting of the logs it settled until the upper story was only about four feet from the ground. Finally it was pulled apart and burned.

Father used to bring us children something when he returned from a long trip. Once he brought Margaret and me each a toy dresser from China. Mag's and mine were just alike - about 8 inches high by 4 inches wide with two long drawers across the bottom and four shorter ones above. The dresser had a handle on top so that it could be easily carried. Later he brought Belle one.

He also brought us Japanese dolls, with a circular patch of hair on top the head. I had mine in my house after I was married. But when we came to Aberdeen and stayed for months before our son was born, the dampness made it fall apart. Margaret lost hers in the Quinault hotel fire.

In Dad's absence we cleared land, planted garden, set out an orchard and raised cattle. In the early days on the Queets we had no horses, due to lack of feed. Scarcely any grass grew there. But we kept cows, as they would eat willow tips, or maple buds, or weeds or salmonberry brush.

The boys used to fell small trees and the girls would gather the limbs for the stock. After months of this, when the cows heard a tree fall they came running to get some brouse. In season, we girls had to gather elderberries for the chickens each morning before we went to school. There was nothing else outside for them to eat.

When Jane was about eight and Margaret ten, the two operated one end of a 9-foot crosscut saw, while their twelve-year-old brother, Jim, with the peg foot, operated the other.

We children also had to bring in the cows to be milked, and keep track of the cattle that were foraging back into the woods. One fall, too early to bring them in for winter, we located about a dozen head on a hill back on our place. They were never seen again. Though we searched the Tisdale Priairie a mile back of us, and the adjacent hills and valleys, we never found a trace of them - not even their skeletons. Evidently they lost themselves completely in the wilderness.

At one time Dad was engineer on the "Alice Gertrude" plying between Seattle, Port Angeles, and Neah Bay. The boat was built on the East Coast, but Dad built her engine in his machine shop in Seattle.

He also owned a steamboat, the "Annie Jane", named for my mother and captained by D. H. Hank. She hauled freight and passengers from Hoquiam and Aberdeen up the coast to the mouth of the Humptulips, the Quinault, the Queets, and the Hoh Rivers."