Page 294

I took my Sunday School training seriously, and was much opposed to liquor and tobacco. My dad knew President Cleveland. Had drunk beer with him. Later Dad quit drinking, as far as I know. Though he continually talked against liquor and tobacco, he did smoke a pipe. I was old enough to see the discrepancy between his teachings and his actions. So when he asked me to bring him his pipe, I said "No, I won't bring the pipe, but I will bring your slippers." He thought I was pretty cute, and had someone else bring him the pipe.

Once when I was a child, Mr. Norr wanted me to kiss him. But, I said I wouldn't because he smelled of tobacco. But my younger sister kissed him. Years later, I taunted her with, "You sold your heritage for a mess of pottage."

Old Joe Northrup (no relation to Benson Northrup) and a man by the name of Judge Wittaker, were suspicious of each other. They were both driving cattle from the Queets to Quinault. Each wanted to be behind the other. The reason was that Joe thought Whittaker was the same man he had had trouble with during the war. However, they both got out without any conflict.

During the time that Joe Northrup was carrying mail on his back from Quinault to the Queets, he ordered boots from Sears & Roebuck, Chicago. One boot arrived on time, but he didn't get the second one until three months later. By that time it was spring and he had gone through the winter without boots.

He used to complain that when he crossed Quinault Lake to get the mail. the wind was usually against him. Then, coming back, it would change and hinder him again. Mother Nature often made it very difficult for the pioneers.

Jane Donaldson Streater says:

"Frederick Knack built the big Donaldson barn. That winter Father took Mother and us three girls to Seattle while Jim stayed on the place. With his help Knack cut the timbers, mostly on the Dick Hopkins place across the river. The barn was built with a threshing floor straight through the middle with big doors at either end that slid back on rollers. One side of the barn was floored and had managers and stalls for six head of cattle. The other side was left to be finished later when needed. The loft would hold 24 tons of hay.

When we women came home in March, Mr. Knack had the barn about finished. For this prodigious job he charged Father only $125.00.

Seven years after their arrival on the Queets the Knack family moved to Hoquiam so that the children could attend school. For several years Mr. Knack did carpenter work, then in 1905 he started the Knack Manufacturing Co., on M Street. A son, Roy, born after they moved to town, took over the business after the death of his father and his brother Henry."