Page 280

February 11th, 1890:

I bought a hill of provisions at Hoquiam costing $31.30. Cost of getting them to camp, $37.00. That is Indian's rate. We employed Mr. Walkitup to haul it from Damon's Point to the Agency, and Dick and Chickamen to carry it up to the Queets. Dick and wife and Jim (Fatty) canoed us up the Queets.

I stayed with the boys one week, helped mark out claims, and showed them where to build our cabins. Then came home. I left Dick's place at six in the morning, made the Agency by half past eleven on Sunday. Left there next morning and made it to Mr. Grigsby's (one mile from Chelalis River) and stopped all night with him. Came to Damon's next day, to Hoquiam the next, and home the next, arriving at Tacoma at five o'clock February 27th, 1890. Total cost of trip, expenses and provision, $86.00.

Tuesday, March 11th, 1890:

Sharp and I started out with only eight men out of thirty-four names we had on our contract paper. Most all of them were afraid they would be swindled. But we went with the eight and located fourteen claims. All were well satisfied expcept two. The following are the names of those who went:

Adam Matheny, John Hollenbeck, J.G. Tisdale, B. Workman (possible means Bertha Wartman), F. H. Garnder, E. W. Grant, J. J. McGarry and F. R. Baker. The last two named didn't like the country and wouldn't leave camp to look at the land, although McGarry had first choice of claims, having drawn No. 1 when we drew for choice of claims. These two said the country wouldn't be settled up in fifteen years. They went back to Tacoma and told quite a string of lies. But the certificate of the others who did like the country soon overcame the effect of these lies.

While I was gone to Portland, the "Port Angeles and Victoria Railroad" was incorporated. now we will soon have a road and our country will boom.

We had quite a scary time, coming home from the Queets. In passing the point of rocks on the beach, the wind had blown hard all night and was still blowing and kept the tide in all day. In going through a tunnel in one of the points, which was only about four feet high and twenty feet long, some of the boys thought their time had come, especially, F.H. Gardner and J.G. Tisdale. The tunnel would fill entirely full of water when the tidal waves came in, and we had to watch our chance when the wave receded or went back.

We all got wet up to our arms, and Tisdale and Gardner (poor fellows) thought they never would get out of that hole. But, thank the good Lord, we all came out safe, sound, and well-salted, and hope to live to see the Queets settlement the best in the land.