Page 279

Monday, January 6th, 1890:

Left Hoquiam at half-past eight in the morning aboard the "Tilley" for Montesano. Stopped at Aberdeen a few moments. It is the largest city on the Bay. It is five miles from Hoquiam and situated on the banks of the Chehalis River. It is equally as well located as Hoquiam and a nice town full of life.

Next comes a small but a beautiful little place called Cosmopolis, situated about halfway between Aberdeen and Montesano. It is a sawmill town. The Chehalis River is a mile from Montesano, down the Bay. The tide rises eight feet at Montesano. We arrived here at noon and stopped at the Olympia Hotel.

Montesano is a nice place, well laid out on a nice pairie, well lighted with electricity, and with a new court house to cost $14,000 just about finished, but somehow it is awfully dull. The dullest place we have seen anywhere.

The snow is about fourteen inches deep here, and people are out sleigh riding with all manner of outfits. Some with horses and some with oxen. There are very few roads in this country and not many teams. Our hotel fare was $1.00 a day.

Thursday, January 7th, 1890:

We left Montesano at ten o'clock, took the train for Kamilche, Fare $2.25. Passed through a small place on the summit, ealled Elma. It is a nice little town and is fifteen miles from Montesano. Kamilche is on an arm of the Sound - not much of a place. Not much room to grow. Arrived here about noon. Went aboard the "Multnomah". Ate dinner on the boat. Paid fifty cents for the meal and $1.50 fare to Tacoma. Stopped at Olympia a few minutes. Arrived at Tacoma at five o'clock, being out on this trip through the Olympic Peninsula just five weeks. Total expense per man, $37.00.

January 8th, 9th, and 10th, 1890.

S. P. Sharp and I kept ourselves busy getting an office (Room 14, 1002 1/2 Tacoma Avenue) and in making arrangements to organize a colony to settle on the Queets River. We charge all parties who locate with us Fifty Dollars for our services. They pay nothing until they see the land and are satisfied.

February 4th, 1890:

Myself, Mr. Ed Grant, and L. L. Carr started from Tacoma and went to the Queets River to work out the land into claims of 160 acres each, so it would be no trouble in locating. We had some bad weather on our trip. Saturday arrived at the "Banta Station" (Grant's name for it) about four o'clock in the evening.