Page 275

Monday, December 30th, 1889:

We had a fine breakfast. Bill of fare: Grouse soup, 3 cups full to each man, and plenty of coffee. After soup, Sharp and I took our gun and went to the top of burned hill (Lone Mountain) where we had a good view of the whole country around. It was a fine sight. We got back to camp wet, cold, and hungry. But there was nothing to do but keep up the fire and go hungry until the Indians came - let it be one day or a week.

However, about five o'clock we heard the Indians shoot off a gun down the river. Then we knew we were alright. They soon came into sight. They landed and gave us the grub. Mr. Gilman had sent us potatoes, flour salt salmon, and three loaves of bread. Well, the bread didn't last long. Disappeared long before supper was ready.

The Indians, Jim Chow Chow and Molax, made a quick trip. Mr. Gilman didn't reach their house until ten o'clock that day, having stayed out all night in the storm without any tent. Said he stood around the fire all night. But he told them that we were out of muck-a-muck and that they must reach us that night or they were not to have the full amount he promised them, which was seven dollars for bringing us down to the mouth of the river to the Agency (Taholah).

Tuesday, December 31st, 1889:

We left our camp about eight o'clock. Had a nice trip down the river for about fifteen miles, to the Indian's home. Here we stopped and they ate their dinner, and we warmed ourselves by the fire. Then we went on down the river to the Agency. Arrived there about three o'clock. Here we met white people. And they were white, too.

Mr. Agers, the Agent - all Michigan people. They would have us take super with them and sleep in the store-room, and made us promise to take breakfast with them. We had quite a pleasant chat with them. Mr. Agers is an I.O.O.F. They formerly came from Chippewa County, Michigan, to Albany, Oregon, and then up here. Charles McIntyre is teamster for the Government, and is a well informed man. We learned quite considerable from him of the habits of the Indians. We also met Dr. Huston, the physician in charge.

Mr. Cleve Jackson, an Indian, Mr. Baker, Indian, and Frank Hyasman, Indian, were also introduced. Then we bid goodbye to the Old Year, rolled ourselves in our blankets and went to sleep.