Page 271

Friday, December 19th, 1889:

We had to wait until nearly noon for the tide to go down. Then we started for the Queets. Our quide said that he lived about one mile up the river and that we were welcome to stay in his house. That he had plenty of flour, salt, salmon, coffee, and potatoes. Also, that he had a boat on the river to ride up there in.

This suited us, for we were wet through and cold and I don't think I was ever more tired than I was when we reached his boat. It was dark by that time. He said we would soon be there, but after we had sat still in the boat for about one hour we were getting awfully cold. We would ask him how near he was to his house, and he would answer "half a mile." We'd go about a half mile and ask again, and get the same answer. Well, I think that if anyone had been near and heard our teeth rattling they would have thought it was a hundred frogs hollering.

Finally, after we came very near being upset in the river, and had made two miles up stream, we pulled ashore. We got out and followed a narrow path for about forty rods. Sometimes we had to hold onto one another to keep from getting lost in the dark. We expected momentarily to come to the house, but the first thing we knew we came out to the river again. Our walk had warmed us up some, so we did not feel so badly.

Then, our guide gave a war whoop, and the dogs began to bark, a light was lit, and we saw we were just across the river from the house. An old Indian came over in a boat to take us over. But, not knowing there were so many of us he came in a small canoe. When he came up to the shore our guide said, "Get in, boys." But, when we did the boat began to sink. Our guide was in the front part of the boat and pulled it to shore and got out.

And, now, my partner, Mr. Sharp, wanted out too. I don't know whether he could walk on the water or not but anyhow he stepped out and sank into about three feet of cold water. He must have lost his faith, for he said something about the damned bank. I didn't just understand him.

Well, three men got out and the rest of us went across. Then, the old Indian returned after the other fellows. We all went into the house which was about 30 feet by 70 feet. There were three fires burning in the house, and three different families crouched around them. In one corner was just an old woman alone who had a little fire of her own. No one seemed to pay any attention to her, nor she to them. I suppose she had served her day and was no longer of any use and was just waiting for the last fires of life to burn out.