Page 270

Saturday, the 14th:

We made about five miles and camped again in the woods. Soil and timber being about the same.

Monday, the 16th:

We traveled all day over land pretty much the same as the day before. Made about four miles and camped on a hillside by a large cedar tree, measuring 28 feet around the butt.

Tuesday, the 17th:

We traveled over mountains about 1200 feet high, reaching the Hoh River about noon. The Hoh is a good big river and a very rapid one. Large piles of driftwood cover the bottom. Some great trees six feet through and 100 feet long, piled up in piles just as though they were sticks of kindling wood. We struck the river about two miles above its mouth and found some fine bottom land there. Think there is lots of it all along the river. The Hoh, we think, is the largest river we have crossed, and believe it heads away up on the north side of Mt. Olympus.

Wednesday, the 18th:

Some Indians came along about two o'clock and we gave them $2.00 to take us down to the ocean. We didn't know it was so short a distance, as we could have walked it easily. There are about fifty Indians at the river's mouth. They most all are barefooted and one old man had nothing on but a calico shirt. But some of them are well dressed. They seemed to think we were quite a curious looking set of men.

Some of the Indians had been going to school at the Quinault Reservation and we could talk with them a little. We hired one to go with us down the beach to the Queets River to show us the way and keep us from getting caught in the tide. Gave him $3.00. We came to quite a stream and he stripped himself and carried us all across. I think he made six trips before he got us and our baggage across. We didn't expect this of him, but he made no kick about it.

We camped on the beach near the river. Coming down the beach this afternoon we had to climb the bank and wait four hours for the tide to go out. This was oppostie Destruction Island. We could see quite a number of houses.