Page 259

"So, I got off and by feeling around with my feet, led her until I found the detour into the bottom land. We had gone but a short distance when Nellie got off the path and bumped against a rotten cottonwood tree which fell across the saddle and pinned us both down.

Nellie didn't get excited. Although I was really frightened, I managed to push the small tree off so I could dismount. But after I had the pony out from under the tree, I was completely lost. I patted the ground with my feet, but couldn't find any path except the one leading back to the lake. In desperation, I got on Nellie and let her go where she pleased. I could scarcely believe it when we came out on the gravel bar opposite Mohrs.

But I was afraid to ford in the dark. It was midnight and the family was asleep. I yelled and yelled, before Mr. Mohr heard me and brought the canoe across to get me. I was only seventeen then, and for my escapade I was given a severe lecture by the Mohrs and later by my mother.

On the Dark Day of September 12, 1902, Mrs. Mohr got up in the dark, as usual, to get me off to school. At 6:00 it began to get light. By 7:00 it was darker, and by 7:30 still darker. By the time I should have started to school it was completely dark. It was a mystifying situation. Whereas other communities smelled smoke and knew there was a forest fire, we were so near the mountains that smoke and ash passed high overhead. We didn't smell anything. There just wasn't any apparent reason for the darkness. I didn't start out. By four in the afternoon, it was light enough that I rode down to the schoolhouse to see if any pupils were there. Of course there were none.

We learned later that some of the neighbors thought the world was coming to an end, and prayed for deliverance.

During my stay at Quinault, David Milburn and I climbed Mount Baldy. It was a clear day in October and we could see the Quinault River running through the Lake and beyond to the Pacific. Forty miles away we could see smoke from the lumber mills of Hoquiam and Aberdeen.

Once I saw Indians smoking fish on a framework built on the shore of Lake Quinault.

After Christmas, I taught a spring term at Ceres, Washington, beyond Chehalis. The next fall, 1902, I was teaching ini Terrace Hts. school in Aberdeen when the big fire occurred there."