Page 253


Arthur and Icie Dunlap moved into the Quinault about 1907 when their baby girl was a year old. They lived in a shake cabin across the road from Olsons until they could build a log cabin. The new house had two large rooms downstairs, and three up, and was very comfortable. Mrs. Dunlap cut and burned brush and helped to clear land. After living there about a year she became very ill and had to be taken out to a doctor.

The first night they stopped at Higleys, and Mr. Higley boiled beef all night to give her beef froth to sustain her on the hard trip out. She hadn't eaten anything but nine eggs and some apples in about six weeks. Couldn't keep anything down.

They came down the river with Otto Kestner and George Underwood, an Indian boy, while Ovid Milbourne went to stay with Dunlap's two children, Elora and Arthur. Somewhere along the river there was a huge log jam, probably a half mile long. Mrs. Dunlap and the baby girl lay in the bottom of the canoe while the men dragged it over the jam. When they reached Taholah they hired an Indian to bring them down to Moclips by wagon.

Now there was a puncheon road, but it was too rough for a sick person to ride over. The Indian drove slowly along the beach, but even then the jarring hurt Mrs. Dunlap considerably. Then her husband came alongside the wagon and told her that the Indian said he would have to drive hard to get off the beach before they were caught by the tide - about twelve miles. Either that, or go by the puncheon road.

She said, "Drive as fast as you can". Mr. Dunlap ran alongside all the way. They stayed at Moclips that night, then took a train to Hoquiam. Mrs Dunlap never went back to the claim, which was sold to a Mr. McLaughlin. Later they moved to Humptulips and lived below the Newburys. Mrs. Miles Newbury taught the school. For a time, Mrs. Dunlap operated the Evans Hotel.

Olsons had tame elk, in an enclosure. Ovid Milbourne and Kestner and the Olson boys and my husband were all in the woods hunting elk when the tame ones got out of the corral. They came across the river and the bull elk chased our cow. I tried to frighten them away, but the old bull treed me on a stump. The children were in the house, and knew enough to stay there. Finally he left and followed the cows, and I got back into the house.