Page 249

When asked if they made their own soap, she replied, "We didn't have any grease to spare in the early years. Elk were never very fat, and even the pigs were pretty lean, with no grain in their diet. Mother did boil ashes and soak the men's badly soiled garments in that solution."

Charley Hulten says, "Wolves were plentiful around Quinault in early days. Frank Peterson and I once killed an elk. We packed some of the meat home. Went back in the morning and found that two wolves had been there ahead of us. They killed lots of big game. Jasper Bunch poisoned them around Quinault, while Lee Kearns - farthest settler on the Queets - laid a trail of meat treated with arsenic or strychnine, and got about the last wolf.

Frank and Herbert once found a honey tree. They cut it down, split it, and got the honey. But it had to be strained.

The first picnic at Quinault was at Olson's. Charley Hulten was one of the boys who went up Fletcher's Canyon and got snow to make ice cream. It was made of real rich cream with eggs. Put the mixture in a big lard pail with the handle sticking up, set it inside a tub filled with snow, and twisted it back and forth until frozen. Was that a treat!."

Quite unexpectedly tragedy struck the Hulten family. Hilda says, "I was in training to be a nurse at Hoquiam General Hospital and was guarantined with smallpox when my father and my eightteen-year-old brother Emil were drowned.

Father couldn't swim, but Emil was an expert swimmer. They had gone across the river to put on a roof at Frank's place, and were to come home for dinner. They didn't come and didn't come, and Mother was worried. Finally a search was made, but neither Father nor Emil could be found. However, when the searchers discovered on a sandbar a pair of pigskin gloves that Emil had been wearing, they figured he had pulled them off, thrown them down, and gone to his Father's aid. Still we never knew just what happened.

About a week later their bodies were found. Inasmuch as the accident occurred in February, when the mountain streams are very cold, they were well preserved. Mr. E. E. Fishel prepared them for burial, and conducted the funeral service. They lie buried, side by side, on the old homestead.

When I went home from Hoquiam, Mother begged me to take her down to the spot where the tragedy occurred. The other members of the family didn't want her to go. But I think it made her feel a little better to see what her loved ones had to contend with.