Page 247

There they took a horse for the doctor, but Ernest walked back to Humptulips. There they took another fresh horse and continued back to the Olson ranch; Ernest did not stop from the time he left the ranch until he returned with the doctor. By that time, John Olson had already set his sister-in-law's arm. The doctor examined it and said that it was a very good job and should not be touched."

Regarding the Hulten's woolen cloth, Bud Loomis and Clint Knox tell the following:

"The next spring after the big flood we were coming up the river when we saw something red hanging over a log near the jam. We thought at first it was roots. Finally we went across the river to see what it was. Clint pulled and pulled until he had the canoe half full of wet woolen cloth. When we got to Olson's landing he yelled until a couple of the children came down to the river.

"Do you know what this is, and whose it is?", he asked. "Oh, yes ! It's Hulten's", they said. And, were glad to get it back. It wasn't worn at all, only full of sand."

Ernest continues:

"In the second year a freight service was started on the Quinault River in Indian canoes from Taholah. Food and supplies would be brought by small power-boats from Hoquiam to Taholah, then the men would load their canoes and start poling up the river. It took about seven or eight hours to go down to Taholah from our ranch, but it took from three to four days to pole back to the farm with from 600 to 750 pounds to a one-man canoe. Ernest brought the kitchen stove that was used by his mother, up the river on a canoe.

The Indians were a great help in assisting the men when they ran into hidden dangers on this long journey. On one trip up the river, Ernest's life was saved by an elderly Indian lady, Polly Hiasman, who skillfully assisted him in going past a log jam which otherwise would have cost him his life. The total distance of the round trip was about ninety miles. As the Olson boys grew to manhood they all helped in providing the supplies by way of the river.

The settlers later on made a trail from the lower end of the Lake to Humptulips which is eighteen miles. This trail was improved upon, from year to year, and eventually became a corduroy wagon-road - made by laying poles lengthwise, then laying split cedar across these poles. This very road was finally taken over by the county (then Chehalis Co.) and a maintenance crew was established. After years (1914) the road was built so that it was quite passable. The first automobile was driven into Quinault by Jim Quigg, but, to his dismay, had to be towed back to Hoquiam by Mr. E. H. Adams' ox-team.