Page 246

With the Hultens came five more children - Charley, Frank, Herbert, Huldah, and Emil. They settled about a mile and a half below Hannah Wilson. The McCarthy place was across the river, and Frank bought it. Neighbors were Pratt, Watson, Fletcher, and Weedstop. Some of them were trappers.

Ernest Olson relates:

"Christine Hanson, Hannah Wilson, with her son Chester, and the Swan Hulten family with their children, were living down river from the Olson home in an old shack on the riverbank, owned by the Borden brothers. Once when the river came up they had to flee for their lives. All they saved from the house was some flour and their blankets. The water came up so rapidly that the banks were cut away nearly as fast as they could run with the children."

Bud Loomis tells the incident, in more detail:

"The Wilsons, Miss Hanson, and the Hultens, were living four or five miles below our first place, on the bank of the Quinault River. The water raised until it came up to the houe, so they abandoned it and fled into the edge of the clearing and climbed onto a big rotten log. They saw the house float away. But still the river kept rising until finally the log they were on began to float.

Mr. Hulten got off and felled an alder tree across it to anchor it. As Christine Hanson reached out to protect her nephew Chester, a limb of the falling alder broke her arm. Night was coming on. They had no house, no food - nothing but the clothes on their backs and the six wet blankets that were wrapped about the children. The chilled refugees were forced to spend thirty hours on that log before help came."

Ernest Olson continues:

"Meanwhile, when Ernest Olson and his father awoke next morning, they saw the high water. Knowing the danger their relatives were in they hurried down river to the rescue. Ernest carried his Aunt Christine across a swift stream, about eight or ten feet deep, walking on an eighteen inch footlog over which water was running.

As soon as all were secure at the Olson home, Ernest started out, walking, for a doctor. Never stopped until he reached New London, 44 miles away. He took a boat to Hoquiam, woke up a doctor and returned with him to New London.