Page 240

One summer was unusually wet, we had a load of hay on the rack when it began pouring rain. So we pitched a tent over the top. The road was so narrow that the hayrack hit the trees and the tent would flap and get us all wet. It rained all of July. All the men could do was sharpen their scythes. The Olson hay got so rotten he couldn't feed it."

Mr. Higley relates:

"Ignar Olson was going up the Queets with a pack train. The horse he was riding came to where a big rock had rolled into the trail. There wasn't room to get around it. The pack horse looked at it, stooped down and nosed it out of the way."

Mrs. Locke said:

"When she first moved to the Lake, that there was a fine mist so much of the time. The moss was plentiful and luxuriant. It was used then for mattresses. Now florists and nurserymen make use of it quite extensively."

Helen Higley Grandey says:

"I remember the picnics on the Fourth of July. The older boys and men always went up Fletcher's Canyon for snow to make the ice cream. That was the one time of the year we had it - unless snow happened to fall when we were lucky enough to have a cow milking and an egg in the house - an unlikely possibility. But, on the Fourth we could be sure of eating ice cream until it ran out of our ears. Years when little snow fell, or the spring had been early, and warm, the men had a long, hard climb to the snow-line. However, I can't recall that they ever let us down."

Orte Higley says:

"I never saw but one cougar. It followed me for a week or two while I was carrying the mall. In 1902, I was awarded the contract to carry the tri-weekly mail between the Quinault and the Queets. This cougar would start at Salmon River and follow me toward Queets. Finally, he went all the way to Quinault and back to the river at Queets. But, he never bothered me. The distance was 28 miles, and the compensation $1,900.00 per year.

The Quinault Indians used to smoke salmon on the shores of Quinault Lake. Came there to fish and smoke them. Had a smoke house 30 or 40 feet long at a place five miles below the Lake. Had the attic hanging full of fish. At night the men lay down in blankets on the floor, and the dense smoke was just about a foot above their heads all night."

Helen Higley says:

"A. V. Higley was Land Commissioner for a number of years. Settlers could prove up their homesteads with him instead of going to Montesano. Charlie Heultine proved up on his during Mr. Higley's term of office. One of the Lockes became commissioner after Higley. In 1890, Grandfather Higley filed on a preemption, and that was one of the last before they were stopped."