Page 234


Log-rolling on the water was a popular sport in early days, but Quinault had one that was different. Our job was to clear off land around the store and hotel. The settlers brought their teams about nine in the morning, the women furnished the food for a big dinner, and we men rolled logs until late afternoon. Cleared quite an area.

Houses in Quinault were mostly log cabins. Ewell's hotel, built in 1903, was of hewn logs. But in 1889 Mr. McCullough built the first "shack" of cedar shakes. The first schoolhouse was built about 1895 or 1896.

John Olson arrived in the fall of 1890. And Albert Merriman, for whom the falls are named, came the same year. They took over Harly West's place. In 1891 Mr. and Mrs. Jack Ewell arrived. They brought the first livestock into the area.

In the summer of 1891, Father (A. V. Higley) started the first store in Quinault in the Townsite building. When we gave it up, Ewell took it over (About 1902).

Our first dance was held the third winter we were there (1892-3) at Lawrence Slover's place. It was a two-room cabin and there was space for only one set to dance at a time. There were twelve or fourteen bachelors and four girls. It was a rule that they had to change partners every set. Some of the boys tied a handerkerchief around one arm and took the part of girls.

I recall a dance at the Wright place, also. Danced in the kitchen with a heater in the next room. To select partners for supper, colored ribbons were pinned on the men in one room and on the girls in the other. One fellow peeked around, then exchanged ribbons with another so as to get the girl he wanted. There were perhaps nine girls to twenty-five boys by that time.

Guests stayed all night at these dances, so they could see to get home safely. In those days there were lots of young fellows here, and scarcely any of them drank or smoked.

Mrs. Chesney was the first white woman in Quinault. Mrs. Julisu Locke the second; Mrs. Laurence Slover the third.

In 1909 or 1910, Humptulips was invited to join in our Fourth of July picnic, held at Locke's Landing. We had a launch on the lake and draped it with red, white, and blue bunting around the top. It got wet from rain and the men got their shirts stained and the women their dresses. We had plenty of homemade ice cream, frozen with snow from the mountain, also lemonade. Everything at the stands was free. Herbert Hulten and Roy Ward had charge of fireworks, but got them wet. We had a dance in the evening.