In 1952 Ben Newnham gives his account of the above fire:
"Ben and Carson Newnham were staying at a shack on Cook Creek, in September, 1891. Early one afternoon they noticed ashes falling all around, and heard a tremendous roaring, so they started out to see what was going on. They walked to within about a quarter of a mile of the fire. It was so hot they couldn't get any closer. There they met Mr. Irely (or Eyerly, as Phil Locke spells it) black as coal. He didn't say a word to them then, but told them later that he had gone to a creek near the foot of the hill for water, and noticed how dry everything was, and decided to burn off a patch for wild blackberries. He barely escaped with his life. His homestead shack was about where the ranger station is now. The fire burned for nearly two weeks, and was almost burned out before it rained. It destroyed between 2,500 and 3,000 acres of timber and stopped when it reached the hemlock timber on the hill to the east, also on the west. Most of the timber that burned was cedar and spruce and spruce limbs are almo
QUINAULT TOWNSITE COMPANY FIREBy Orte Higley
(This fire covered the present snag area from Quinault to Ewell Creek)
On a hot, windy afternoon in August, 1891, a fresh slashing, about the size of three city blocks, and located between the Lake shore and what is now the Quinault Cemetery, was set on fire by two Stanfield brothers and two Peeler brothers. One of the city blocks was owned by O. G. Chase, of Hoquiam, who was the president and instigator of the Townsite Company. The two Stanfields and the two Peeler brothers were also members of this company.
The slashing was set about 2:00 P.M., and when the fire struck green timber, it crowned, burning to the edge of the present snag area on Ewell Creek that afternoon. The fire did not spread after the first day but smoldered until the fall rains started.