First Hotel at Quinault in 1891. It was run by O. L. Higley and his father in a building built by the Quinault Townsite Co., about where the school gymnasium now stands. (1939)
Supplies for the early settlers were brought along the ocean beach from Hoquiam by wagon to the mouth of the Quinault River, then poled up river in canoes.
In 1891 about six men came to Quinault from Portland and Grays Harbor with the intention of killing all the bear in the Olympics. They had been told there was a big swamp near the forks of the river that was filled with hollow cedar trees, and that all the bear in the Olympics holed up there for the winter. Each man had ten pounds of gunpowder, and the group had about 100 pounds of lead for bullets. The men stayed only a few days and the led and powder was given to O. L. Higley and his father for lodgings while there.
The first white women in Quinault were:
Mrs. Julius Locke
Mrs. Lawrence Silver
and Mrs. Albert Merriman
They stayed at Quinault during the winter of 1890-91. The first white women to see the Lake were the two daughters of Captain Willoughby.
QUINAULT BURN FIRE(Near the present settlement of Neilton)
In the summer of 1891, during the latter part of July or early August (prior to the Quinault Townsite Company fire) a man by the name of Jacob Irely (or Everly) who was the first settler in this area and was located where the Salonie Guard Station is now, was falling cedars and burning what he could of them, along with the slashing. He had several such fires, going for quite a few days. Finally, some of these fires spread and covered the entire area now known as the Quinault barn. This all happened within three days, and no noticeable spread was made after that. The fire started about noon, and during the heavy burning the entire area surrounding Quinault Lake was covered with ashes.
Sam Gilman, who was voluntarily carrying the mail to the Lake during this fire, passed through it on the second or hottest day.
In 1896, Alfred Higley, Road Supervisor at that time, reburned along a part of the trail to Hoquiam that ran through this fire area, as preliminary work to the start of a road.