Page 23

In 1918 Walker Brothers purchased a block of timber from Lytle. This was a heavy stand of spruce extending five or six miles up the Humptulips from its forks. With camps on both forks, employing between 25 and 35 men, Walkers constructed a cable foot-bridge across the East fork to connect the two, which at that point were only about a mile apart.

Doubtless there were other logging outfits than those mentioned. In addition, most ranchers logged off some of their own timber.

The story is told that one settler sent a cedar log down to the mill. Like most cedars, it has a big hollow at the flaring butt end, but that soon tapers off very small. The mill scaler, in estimating the number of feet he would have to pay for, deducted the diameter of that big hole for the entire length of the log, and came up with 300 ft. less than any log at all. Pretty good figuring for the mill.

Dan McGillicuddy says, "One of the mills wanted cedar. We sorted it out, shipped it, and they were to scale it. When they scaled the first of seven cars, their figures were so low I asked the scaler why. "Such big holes in the logs" he explained. "Well, then, I'll just take pay for the holes" I said, "and the mill can have the logs."

On another occasion a shrewd frontier logger brought down some logs. When he got the scaler's report he remarked sarcastically, "That's more than I expected." One of the mill company officials overheard the remark, thought he was in earnest, and fired the scaler for giving him so much.

With many small loggers dumping into the same river, it was necessary to have some distinguishing mark. By means of a branding iron, the owner's registered device was stamped into the end of each log. Logs that came down river without any marking were the prize of the finder.

A mill employee tipped off Gust Murhard that the mill was cutting some of his logs. Since they hadn't purchased them, he went over to see about it. The Superintendent denied he had seen any of this logs. They were standing beside the head rig when a log with his symbol stamped in the end came up from the mill pond. Faced with that evidence, the Superintendent paid him $100.00 which was not nearly all that was due him.