Page 227

When he returned, Hunley took him to the Promised Land, through Copalis Creek - a week's trip - and never saw an elk. They stayed at Hoquiam and made the second trip up into the big prairies above Taholah, but couldn't see any elk. Finally they came across a cow-elk tangled up in a windfall, and shot her. There were not huniting laws then. The satisfied hunter had the carcass packed out, and arranged for some meat to be cured and shipped to him, and took the hide, minus horns, back to Philadelphia.

Frank Hyassman took him in a canoe and passed an Indian friend's cabin. He went over and they were cleaning fish and throwing the skeletons and heads onto a pile that was moving with maggots. The Indians invited the two to stay for dinner, and Frank wanted to. But the city man couldn't stand the sight and smell, and made him go on. Then, when the white man wanted to stop to eat lunch, the Indian wouldn't. "No, me go on to Lake", he said. After the second picnic place was passed by, the man took out his lunch and began to eat. Then Frank said, "It about noon. Guess we better stop and eat."


There was a Government School and house for the Indian Agent Bob Ager. Charles McIntyre was freighter. The village consisted of some long-houses, a lot of shake cabins along the river, and little farms. They had dug-out canoes. Also, ocean-going canoes, that held ten to twelve men. They had a high, carved prow. Indians also hunted sea otter with guns.

I was down there once when they sighted a dead whale about three miles out to sea. They wanted it badly. Phil Locke and I asked if we could go along. We were good canoemen, so they took us. It was winter time. They launched two ocean-going canoes. There were ten men in each. The water was rough. Our boat went out in the surf and we poled along in it, while two men with buckets baled out the water. We went north about a mile through the rocks. We thought any minute the boat would dash against a rock, but the Indians managed to push it off.

The other canoe tried to follow the river current and swamped. Then they followed our course.

When we reached the whale, an Indian jumped onto it from the canoe, although the waves were ten to fifteen feet high under us. Then, he cut a hole around a rib and attached a two hundred foot rope. The other boat put a line on it, too, and together we towed it kppo- (unreadable in original text).

The Indians figured it had been dead perhaps a month, but they ate it and considered it a great delicacy.