Page 225

But after we left the camp the sun came out and dried things and a few embers fanned into a flame which spread to a cedar tree under which we had cooked our breakfast. Embers from the tree fell onto the tent and set it afire and everything was destroyed. When we got back that night we had nothing - no food, except about a quart of flour that had not burned, a bacon rind about eight inches long, and a bag of coffee. Our man had brought this coffee bag along, and it was a good one. It had an inner silk bag with a draw string at the top. Outside of that was a foi bag and on the outside was a rubber bag with another draw string. It kept the coffee air-tight and dry. We were all glad that it hadn't burned. There was a corner of a blanket about two feet square that escaped the fire, so we put the flour into that and tied it with a piece of string, took the bacon rind along, and started for the Lake.

The city man had on one boot and one shoe, the mates having been burned previously. It began to rain. After sliding down hill on his heels and seat of his pants for a while, he decided to run. He would aim for a small tree, run a few steps and throw his arms around it to stop himself. It was dangerous business.

We kept going until dark. All we had was a small, dull axe and no dry wood. We finally got a fire. I laid so close to it that I burned the back out of my shirt. We were camped on a ridge so narrow that we couldn't move around much in the dark to get wood. We had no water to drink. The city man was so dry from perspiring profusely that he said his tongue was swelling in his mouth.

It was eleven next morning when we reached water. We prepared eagerly to make coffee. But, when it began to heat, the odor of rubber and burned silk was so strong that we couldn't even taste of it. We had to discard it. The only thing we could do was rub the bacon rind on the frying pan, stir flour and water together, and bake it in a thin hard cake or cracker.

We reached the river bank that night and had a vine maple fire. By the next night we reached my first cabin with the fireplace in it. I knew there were a few potatoes in the garden. When we were a mile from there I wanted to go on ahead and start a fire and get the potatoes cooking, but the others didn't want me to leave them. But, I went on, and dug potatoes - and every little marble-sized one, I put right into my mouth. Nothing ever tased better than that. I built a fire and put them on to cook.