Page 220

The next night the town was swarming with loggers. Along about nine or ten o'clock we got so sleepy we decided to get a room and go to bed. We went to the Gamage Hotel. A fellow there told us they did not have a room. I recalled the little parlor off the office, and thought we could sleep there on the floor. We went in, but there was scarcely room on the floor for us to lie down. The Gamage family had given up their own beds and they and the help were sleeping there. The floor was just about full. Somehow we managed to crowd in and get a little sleep - not much. "Well", I said, "We'll get some sleep on the boat for two or three hours, going back to Grigsby's." (Copalis)

It so happened there was a bunch of school teachers - five or six - on a vacation trip. When we went down into the cabin, it was full. So, we had to stay out on deck. The boat was the "Ranm", Capt. Benham. It was a pretty cold day, and as we rounded a point we could see that the ocean was getting rough. The Captain said, "All you fellows will have to go down in the cabin, as we are going to close the hatch."

Bill Abel's young wife was on board with a baby three or four months old. Everybody began to feel sick. A boy of twelve started things off. Said he was hungry, but when his mother opened the food basket, it turned his stomach. Everybody got sick, one at a time. The rest all kidded them about not being good sailors. Finally, the young mother's turn came. She said, "Open that window". I did. The storm had quieted down a little. There were about fifteen people in this tiny cabin, and with all feeling sick, it was terrible.

I felt squeamish myself. McCarthy said, "Look at Bud. He's about ready to get sick." Then, I asked the girl to move and let me stick my head out of the window. McCarthy was an old salt. Being the only one who wasn't sick, he had to take care of the baby.

To get back to the Hoquiam celebration, we were all interested in the flying machine. It had been shipped to Hoquiam, boxed up. The citizens assembled it, and then didn't have any place to start it. The only street that was planked was Eighth Street. They got the engine started and made believe they were going to let it go. When the propeller turned, the hats flew in all directions. Then, they had a lot of people holding onto it by ropes, intending to cut the ropes and let it go after it got started. They fooled around for several hours. It was a small affair with a small engine and short wings. They never got it off the ground.

At a later celebration they had a hydroplane and succeeded in getting it up off two boats. It flew about forty feet and landed in the water.

When we reached Grigsby's we found that these school teachers were spending their vacation there, so we fellows decided to stay there a day and rest before going on home. We took the girls along the beach for walks, sat on logs, and talked, and in the evening we danced.