Page 216

We went just a little farther and we came close to a rock, but there was no place to stop. The old man Gatton jumped for the rock and turned us bottom side up. We lost everything. Next thing I was swimming down alongside the boat and everything was floating, and our grub box went past - down the river.

The next thing I remember was Old Man Higley, who was a good swimmer, went past me a flying and yelled back. My money's in that grub box. He chased it down a quarter of a mile before he got it. We got our paddle and poles, but lost the tools.

We put our passenger in the middle of the boat. He was wet and cold, and all the time kept wanting us to stop and build a fire. Higley said, "If it hadn't been for you, we wouldn't have upset. Now freeze it out." If we had stopped and dried ourselves out, we would have had to camp there all night, as it took all day to get to Taholah. It was the first trip with my boat. He was the captain. He bought a boat from the Indians.

Indians usually worked two to a boat, with 800 lbs. in an eight or ten-foot canoe. Passengers were not allowed to touch sides of canoe. A canoe rolls slightly all the time. Indians turn canoes upside down and rub tallow on the bottom to make them run easily.


By Bud Loomis

In the early days Ingram had the store at Quinault and also a pack train for bringing in supplies. He came up early in the haying season, before the hay was ready to cut, and said he wanted to get two or three tons right away. He told us to cut it and partly dry it and then bring it over and he would finish drying it.

George Milbourne was working for me then. We cut the hay and when it was partly dry we hauled it down to the Lake. Then we took two canoes and put poles across and lashed them to the rounds, then built a platform over them. We put the hay on that.

We were in the mouth of a creek, but we finally got it out into the lake. In the afternoon it gets choppy where the river empties in. The canoes were stationary and the first thing we knew we were sinking.