Page 212

I returned to the cabin, said it was all right yet, and laid down with my clothes on. In about a half an hour I went outside again and found that the creek was over-flowing the bank. It had risen a foot in a half-hour. Fortunately we had our canoe pulled up on the bank repairing it, or it would have been washed away.

I went into the cabin and said, "I guess you better get up and we'll get the canoe and tie it to the house and sit up the rest of the night. Well, the water finally came into the house and extinguished the fire in the stone fireplace, which was elevated eighteen inches above the dirt floor.

We were on a little island between the river and the creek, and we were afraid the water would wash the dirt out from under us and carry the house away down stream. So we took a canvas and some kindling and pitch and an axe and matches. Father and Mother got into the canoe. There were stumps all around the house and in the darkness I was afraid we would have an accident. So, I waded in the water up to my arm pits, and pulled the canoe toward a spruce tree three or four feet in diameter that stood on the highest point of ground on the island. There I fastened up the canvas and got a little fire started. It was raining in sheets, and we stayed there under that tree until the water rose and put out our fire on the highest point on the island. Then we decided to get into the canoe and tie it to an overhead branch of the tree, as high up as we could reach.

This must have been about four o'clock in the morning. Suddenly the rain stopped, and by daylight I was able to go back to the house. There was mud on the floor a foot deep. I dipped up muddy water from outside and sloshed it over the floor and swept a lot of it out with the old hemlock broom. Then I started a fire in the fireplace. Not long after daylight I got Father and Mother back into the house. After that experience, we decided not to live there. My uncle J. D. Knox, had a cabin down the river a couple of miles, and we moved there for the rest of the winter.

We built another house about half way between the present Bunch place and ours. we slashed out a spruce tree that split pretty straight and made shakes. We got the walls up, and laid a lot of poles across and a lot of shakes on top to walk on. When a big snow came along it all fell over, and we had to put it up again. We lived there two or three years, then we had a chance to buy a relinquishment of Clarence Slover, one mile above the Lake, and moved there. We had it a little better there, as we had a log house to live in. We started to improve that. Before long the place was known to both whites and Indians as Loomisville. We had built houses, barns, chicken houses, pig pens, and began to raise cattle.