Page 209

Thankful that we were all three together again, we got into the canoe and I became captain. Previously Father had been in command, having operated a boat in the Easst. We got back to the Indians at dark and stayed. We finally gave them the boat to take us on up to Quinault.

When the family moved onto the claim, Father, Mother, and I left Olympia and came to Montesano by way of Kamilche, and then on a logging train; loaded stuff on a boat, as there was no road to the Harbor. Among our stuff we had a small cook stove. When we got to Hoquiam we landed our stuff on Foster's wharf where it was re-loaded into a boat for New London. When we reached New London, the stove, which had not been marked with any name, was missing.

On that account we cooked in a stone fireplace for two years, baking bread by use of a reflector. And I had to do most of the cooking. Finally, I went through Foster's old warehouse on the dock and saw a stove that looked like ours. I asked whose it was and was told they didn't know, but that anyone could have it that would take it away. So, I explained that it was ours.

We had about a thousand or fifteen hundred pounds of stuff at New London to be taken in to our place eight miles above the upper end of Lake Quinault. Had a horse and a Jersey cow and a two-year-old heifer, and a yearling. The road was all mud - no puncheon on it then.

We talked to Harry Evans who carried the mail on pack horses. He said our goods would be too hard to pack in. Then, Charley Sargent showed up with a wagon and yoke of oxen. He had come down for a load of freight. He said the load would be too much for the oxen to pull, but if I would hitch the horse on ahead of the oxen he thought they could haul it. We hired him.

I led the horse and he drove the oxen. Mother rode on the wagon on top of the load. We upset three times the first day. The wheels would ride high over a protruding tree root on one side, and sink down into a deep mud or chuckhole on the other until the thing upset. Mother would jump or slide off into considerable mud. Then, we would have to unload and get the wagon righted, and reload again.

Eventually, we discovered that we could take the oxen on the upside and roll the wagon up again. Sometimes it wouldn't stay there long enough to be pulled out. But, by use of the horse too, we managed to get it going again. It took us two days to get to Humptulips.