Page 202

During the next few years she bore Anton five more children. John, Josie, Carrie, Clara, and Rose. According to Bud Loomis, when Mrs. Kestner was about to have a baby, Mr. Kestner came to Phil Locke's and got Ida to go up and help them through it. Josie was born about three or four in the afternoon. Kestners were milking seven cows. But, Anton couldn't milk. So he drove the seven cows, from the barn to the house and Mrs. Kestner got up out of bed and milked them.

However, Anton Kestner built one of the nicest and most substantial houses in the area.

Merriman Creek was a danger spot for the Kestner children. Not only were ferocious bulls pastured there. The children had to cross the creek on a footlog, as well. Occasionally high water would wash out the log and another tree had to be felled. Then they would have to crawl (or coon it) across between the branches that hadn't been trimmed off.

In December, 1918, due to floods in both the Quinault and Humptulips valleys. Mrs. Kestner who was seriously ill, had to endure a terrible trip to the hospital. Too sick to sit up, she was placed on a bed in the bottom of a lumber wagon. Then she was carried and laid in the bottom of a canoe, which later had to be pulled out of the water, dragged over rough ground, and put into the water again. After getting through the flooded countryside, they reached the Lake. From there a launch towed them to the Olson hotel - a distance of about four miles. Next a cot was placed in Herb Olson's school stage and the patient was driven to Copalis Crossing, where a railroad speeder with trailer brought her into Hoquiam. They arrived at the hospital at 6:00 P.M. The trip of approximately fifty-five miles had taken ten hours, without time being taken to eat or rest.

When, Mrs. Kestner was about to leave the hospital, following a major operation, the nurse said to her, "Well, Mrs. Kestner, I guess you're glad to go home." "By, golly, no !", she said, "Never had such a good time in my life. I've been waited on just like a queen."

As the years passed Louisia Haas, in Austria, could not bear the thought of her sister and family living in the wilderness so far from relatives. Finally she persuaded her husband to join them and take a homestead. Accompanied by his brother Joe, Louis Haas came to Quinault in 1898. Three months later, in July, Louisia and her son Louis arrived.