The following summer, 1891, William Chesney and wife moved in with us. She was the first white woman to locate at the Lake. Their homestead was back of the present town of Falls Creek. She was awarded a lot by the Townsite Co. where the old hotel was built. They built a log house on it that served as a hotel until Ewell built another. She served as Postmaster for some time.
The second winter there a character who called himself Captain Dick, who dressed and wore long hair, Buffalo Bill style, carried two revolvers with plenty of notches in their butts, arrived, and took up his residence on the Wiley place. Soon after a registered letter arrived for him addressed "Richard Falkenburg".
When Mrs. Chesney asked him to sign the registry book, he insisted on signing Mr. Captain Dick. The Mrs., who stood only four-foot-one, had met plenty of such characters before and refused to be bluffed. She informed him in no uncertain language that he would sign as she said before he got the letter. After which he very meekly did so.
At the time we arrived at the Lake, the freight rate from Hoquiam was $5.00 per 100 lbs., which was reduced to $4.00 that fall. Twenty-five cents went for crossing the Harbor, and the balance was divided fifty-fifty between the teamsters on the beach and the rivermen. We managed to make a living on the river for a number of years, gradually lowering the rate until it went to $1.50.
The first winter here, 1890-91, the settlers' mail came only as far as Hoquiam. Anyone coming in from there would bring it in and leave it with the Locke boys at the head of the Lake. Late in the winter the settlers got together and made an agreement to each take his turn going to Humptulips for the mail. The trip was made once a week. Then we learned that Dr. O. G. Chase had secured a Post Office for Quinault and had been appointed Postmaster. He appointed Father, Acting Assistant. The supplies arrived on the first trip, which was made by Orvie Peeler, who was the only one to make the second trip.
In the fall of 1891, a party of young engineers, just out of college, undertook to make a survey of the Indian Reservation boundary. They started from a township corner south of the Lake and ran a line to near the top of the Divide. Then they ran short of provisions and as one of them had a Devil's Club in one finger which was causing considerable trouble, decided to come on through to the Lake and finish the line afterwards.