Page 193

We made an early start next morning with a four horse team and stayed with Bob Ager, an employee of the Indian Agency, a fine young man, very obliging, and willing to help and advise us in any way he could. We got him to help us select a canoe and he picked out the best one on the Reservation for our purpose. Father had a good 38 revolver for bait so we had no trouble making a trade.

As West didn't show up we decided to try the river ourselves. We loaded about half our belongings into the boat and shoved off from shore. Bob was there to see us start. Also, penty of Indians. Neither of us had ever poled a boat, and as soon as we left shore they all knew it. They began gabbling to Bob in Chinook, which we did not understand, saying that we would drown ourselves. Father asked what they were saying and Bob answered that we had too big a load - which, for greenhorns, we did.

We managed to keep headed upstream most of the time however, and after four days of strenous effort made the lake. West passed us on his way down the third day. He had no idea that we would be back. In the meantime, while in Hoquiam, we had met Dr. Chase who was president of the Quinault Townsite Company, and made arrangements to occupy the Townsite building, situated where the Fish Hatchery residence now is. We stayed there a year, kept a store, and the first hotel at Quinault.

That side of the Lake from the Indian reservation to Zeigler Creek had been located and platted as a government townsite, by a number of business men of Hoquiam. It later reverted back to the Government through failure to get the required number of residents.

Soon after moving in, there was a party of four men came in overland from Seattle, one of which was Albert Merriman, who located on the West place just below the falls that were named for him (Merriman Falls). In February, we, A. V. and Orte Higley, moved Merriman and his wife and goods up from Hoquiam. The last day on the river it rained and snowed, and as Father and I had not learned as yet the art of dressing for that kind of weather, we nearly perished with the cold. When we arrived, just before dark, we found that someone too lazy to cut wood had been there ahead of us and stayed until they had used up the supply we had on hand. If they had been there when we arrived someone would surely have got warmed.

Merrimans stayed with us until he built a log cabin on their place.