Page 192

We followed up the North Fork of the Skokomish River to the Duckabush divide where we camped for four days. Pete and LeBarr went for a hunt, got lost, and were gone for two days with only a sandwich each to eat. Dragged into camp about sundown the second day.

From there we dropped down onto the Duckabush, and followed it up to near the head and climbed out onto the Quinalult divide near Hart Lake. The next morning I climbed up to Hart Lake and thought it the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. When I got back to camp I told the boys I had located my homestead there. A few days later, we moved camp to Little O'Neil Creek, where we stayed three weeks.

O'Neil had just started down the Quinault on his way out, that day. Leather decided that night to follow him down to the Lake and see about chances for a homestead, then come back and join us again. As he did not return, Father and I decided to follow him through to see if he had made it alright. Accordingly on the second day of October, 1890, we bid Pete and LeBarr goodbye and left the Divide in about four inches of new snow. The weather was perfect and we took five days for the trip down the East Park to the Lake. There we found Rob and Phil Locke on their Father's homestead, and camped several days in the old cabin he had built the summer before. Leather had found his homestead and had gone back to Seattle.

Here we made the acquaintance of Harry West and learned that he had a location that he wanted to sell. After looking it over we decided to spend the winter at Quinault. We engaged West to take us down the river in his boat, and made arrangements with him to meet us at Hoquiam on a certain date and bring us back.

He went back to Seattle, bought an outfit to keep house with, and reached Hoquiam on the date agreed on, but found no West. Waited for him one day, then stocked up with provisions and crossed the Harbor to Oyehut with Captain Hank in a sailboat. Left our goods there and walked to Copalis and put up at Grigsby's.

We hired a settler by the name of Sumner the next day to go after our goods and haul them to Taholah. He swam his team across the Copalis River while we took the wagon down and loaded it into a rowboat, then crossed and set it up again. In the afternoon, we repeated the process, transferring the goods in the same way.