Page 191

In February we went to Anacortes, where we stayed until September, 1890. Helped to clear the townsite there. After finishing our contract there we decided to take a trip into the Olympics. Pete Hartney, one of the boys that had been with us for the summer, decided to go with us, so we went to Seattle to outfit and start from there. There was a carpenter by the name of LeBarr, who had worked with us for the first two months, then had got work at his trade and used to come to our camp for a visit whenever he was in town. We hadn't seen him for some time. Pete frequently remarked that if we knew where he was we would get him to go along. The last afternoon, after completing our arrangements to start the next morning at four o'clock, whom should we meet in Gordon's Hardware but LeBarr.

After exchanging greetings, Pete told him we were sorry we hadn't met sooner as we were starting at four o'clock in the morning for a trip into the mountains and would liked to have him go with us. He said he was going on a trip to the mountains too, and starting in the morning also. He also had a party of three. On comparing notes we found we were booked for the same place and were going on the same boat. He, then introduced us to one of his party, Fritz Herbert Leather, recently from London, England, and looking for a homestead, which he found at Quinault (I now own the place).

We left Seattle on a little stern-wheel steamer, the name of which I have forgotten. We traveled from four in the morning until dark that night to reach Hoodsport. There we landed on the beach. We built a fire, opened our provisions, and got a supper of sorts. There was an old gentleman who built boats and had a large shop there. He came down as we were eating and told us we could sleep in his ship that night, which we did, and found that shavings on a plank floor made a fairly comfortable bed. The next day being Sunday, we stayed in camp, and proceeded to get organized. We attended church in a body, took seats together and as we could all sing (or at least thought we could) we attracted no little attention by the noise we made.

Monday, we hired one pack pony for the trip to Lake Cushman, carrying what the pony could not take, and went as far as the Lake. Made camp, had dinner, hired a canoe, and stayed until Wednesday. I never saw a body of water that size that had as many trout in it as Cushman Lake had at that time.