Page 189

They succeeded in rescuing the goods, but drowned the housecat and a dozen choice Plymouth Rock hens and rooster. The Indian was afraid to try the rest of the trip with Jack, so left him to make camp while he went back home to get his Klootch (or squaw) to help with the poling. Jack dressed the chickens, and the next day when the Indians arrived at the camp they had a feast. They also brought two hens and a rooster as a peace offering to Mrs. Ewell, and as a starter for a new flock.

From those two cows, Jack raised his first ox-team. When they became old enough to work, he made what was considered at that time, good progress, clearing land. He worked a portion of each year in logging camps, as donkey engineer, to earn a grub stake for the family, until such time as the ranch would support them. Later he operated a store and hotel at the Lake and built the old log hotel in 1903.

In 1905 he sold out to Ransom Higley and moved to Toledo, Wash. where he operated a sawmill, until unfortunately, he was burned out and lost about all he possessed. He then returned to Quinault and purchased the little water mill at Merriman's Falls from E. H. Adams, remaining here until his death in 1924.


The Higley ancestors came to America from England, the first as early as 1630. The first, by the name of Higley, in the year of 1666 - a boy seventeen years of age. Following down the direct line of my fore-fathers from this boy. I find only one who 'stayed put'. The others hit the western trail at some period of their lives.

Alfred V. Higley was born in Pennsylvania. Enlisted in the Civil War in the spring of 1864 at the age of fifteen. He was wounded at Dallas, Georgia, spent several weeks in the hospital, went back to the army in time to join in Sherman's march to the Sea. In the spring of 1878, he got the western fever and started for Kansas. At that time, there were numerous little sawmills on the upper reaches of the Allegheny River, and on the spring freshets they floated the lumber down the creeks in small bundles, and as the stream increased in size doubled them up, until they reached the Ohio River.