Page 188

Altogether they were six days on the road, and it rained every day. They would travel each day until late afternoon, then stop where they found feed for the cows. The men would set up the tent, Mrs. Ewell and the children would get in it and shake with the cold until they got a fire going in front; then they would stand and turn like a roast on a spit, until they dried their clothes. They carried their supplied, cooking utensils, bedding and tent, but no change of clothes. It was dry them on you, or sleep in them wet.

They came through by way of Clyde's place on Axford Prairie, and from Clyde's to the main road the water was waist deep. They had to carry the children, as it was neck deep to them. They stopped one night at Cogdill's in the Promised Land, one night near the Salome Ranger station, from there to Boulder Creek, and to the Lake a little after noon the next day.

The men left the cows and the family at the Will Zeigler cabin which they found padlocked, and came up the trail to the old store building (where the fish hatchery residence is now) for help and a canoe. A. V. Higley (my father) and myself were living there at that time. When we reached the cabin we found Mrs. Ewell and the children standing with their backs against the wall, trying to keep out of the wind and hail, both of which were doing their darndest about that time. Both children were crying with the cold, and I think their mother was not far from it. "Whom could you find in this age that would go homesteading where they couldn't ride the cushions?"

Father helped drive the cows up, and when they got to Zeigler Creek the water was too high to ford. Ewell went across the creek in a canoe with a long rope tied to a cow and Father (A. V. Higley) and Norwood would push her off the bank. She would go under out of sight, and Jack would pull her across. Those two cows learned to walk foot logs on the trail, and would follow across creeks or bogs on any log that was a foot or more in diameter.

After getting the family settled on the homestead, Ewell went back after the household goods, which he shipped across the Harbor to Oyehut by sail boat, then up the beach by Indian teams to the mouth of the river. There he hired Frank Hyasman, an Indian canoeman, to take them up river. Jack himself was to go along and help pole the canoe. When about three fourths of the way to the lake, where there was a big jam of trees and rubbish completely blocking the channel and some dangerous water to negotiate. Jack, not being an expert, made a wrong move and the result was a wreck.