Page 187

In the spring of 1889 Jack Ewell, with a party composed of Jack and Al Pruce, Joe Kelly, John Sinclair, Shorty Axtel, and Harry West, came across the Harbor, up the North beach to the mouth of the Quinault, bought canoes from the Indians, hired one Indian and his squaw and made the trip up the river to the Lake.

"Shorty" Axtel, having some experience with canoes, undertook the piloting of one. Got along famously until within about four miles of the Lake, when on one of the worst rapids on the river he met his Waterloo, and incidentally, the ice cold water of the Quinault at the same time. By the time the rescue was made, Shorty was chilled beyond speech and action. The afore-mentioned Klootch, with true Indian philosophy, spread her dress and herself over him until he thawed out and came to. That rapid is still known as Shorty's riffle.

All of the party (except Shorty, who homesteaded on North beach) located homesteads above the lake. After marking his location, Jack returned to Hoquiam. In the spring of 1890, he came back to his claim. With him came his brother-in-law, Joe Norwood, with his wife and children. They located adjoining him on what is now the Norwood Ranger Station. They both built cabins and Jack brought in some young fruit trees which he planted and which are still living and bearing fruit. These are the oldest fruit trees in Quinault.

In April, 1891, Jack Ewell bought two cows from Benham, loaded them and Mrs. Ewell, her daughter Susie Bennett, aged nine, and Herby Bennett, aged seven, onto a scow, and with Norwood to help, floated up the Hoquiam River on the tide to the Ellingson place. When about half way up they found the scow was leaking so badly that it was going to sink if it was not bailed out. They stopped at a settler's place and asked for a bucket to bail with. All he had was a scoop shovel, which they borrowed and shoveled the water out, and drifted on. They arrived at the head of tidewwater at noon, and Mrs. Ellingson came out and invited Mrs. Ewell and the children in for dinner. The men asked for dinner and offered to pay, but for some reason she turned them down. They had to go on up the road a mile to find a place for the cows, and there built a fire and cooked their meal. The family made it to a cabin of Mr. Chase's on Hemlock Ridge that night.