Page 179

This was the man who was, and is, a good friend of mine among the Indians, Joe Canoeman. Joe took us in his 'plunger' but when we arrived at Oyehut the tide was out and we had to splash our way ashore through the mud. My father then left us camped at Oyehut while he walked up to the Agency to get a team.

On the second day, a small Indian with a very bony team arrived and in answer to our greeting and inquiry if he was to take us up the beach, he replied, "Ah hah, Yes, t'morrow morning, six t'clock, high water on Chopalis' (Not Copalis). We asked him several questions, and to each he gave the same reply, and no other. At that time, Andree Jackson spoke very little English and we afterwards found that he had repeated this formula for the very good reason that the water WAS high on the Chepalis, and even though we were on the Indian's time, we got plenty of water in the wagon box.

We landed at the Agency that night, and after waiting a day or two for the Jackson family to care for a dying relative, left in the Jackson canoe for Quinault Lake. This route and trip was the regular way of travel until the settlers blazed a trail to Humptulips and all the Old Timers had to travel it. We arrived at Quinault March 4th, 1900, after being four days on the river, and that night I slept on what is known as the Locke homestead at the head of Quinault Lake.

At Taholah I saw Noyes, who had wintered at the Lake. He had been brought to the Agency suffering from acute appendicitis. Dr. Hudson, the Agency doctor, told him he could not live, but Noyes assured him that he WOULD live, and fully recovered. He died many years afterward by being thrown from a bucking horse.

'Shorty' Axtel, the old sea-otter hunter, was living in the Noyes cabin and trapping when I landed at Quinault and Smith and Yeager had spent the winter hunting and trapping, living in our cabin, which they had added onto. When I arrived they had a smokehouse filled with drying elk meat. These three men were the only ones in the Valley when I arrived, and none of them took claims - they were merely hunters, and trappers. Jack Smith afterwards joined the gold rush to Alaska, having valuable claims on Birch Creek, on the American side of the line, and brother Rob Locke, who became an Alaska gold hunter, worked for him on his claims. (Later, Rob and Electa Locke lived on the Frank Ziegler place.)