Page 173

Mr. McNutt went down to the Humptulips River with a spear (a pole with a gaff-hook in the end) and caught a black salmon so large that when he had its head on his shoulder with the gaff in its gill, its tail dragged on the ground.

One of our neighbors, George Huntley and another man went to the Chichago World's Fair. The Grays Harbor community has sent a big, squared log, 32 feet long. George and his friend were standing looking at it and so were a couple of old fellows from Wisconsin. One said to the other, "You know, I can't see where this is mitred together." George spoke up, "That isn't mitred together, it grew that way." One old fellow looked up at him and said, "Young man, I have lived in the woods all my life, and there's no tree ever grew that big."

One day when we were in Lytle's camp putting timber into the Humptulips River, Mr. McNutt who was on the high side of the bank, saw a deer and fawn drinking. Jake Andrews was filing a cross-cut saw in the yard. Lyme got his gun and they both took a shot at them. "Don't shoot the little one ! Don't shoot the mother !", I hollered. But both their bullets hit the water and mother and baby ran off. I was glad.

While George Carrol was away from home working, he asked McNutt to cut the grass in his meadow and put it into a shed for the cow. There were sometimes elk in this meadow. Our cow as a pet. On a nice day she would come home about five o'clock. On a stormy day, she would be home by noon.

Lyme went down to this meadow, and there were several elk. He shot two. Jake Andrews' camp was near, and, as was the custom, Lyme went down there to tell these Humptulips men that he had killed a couple of elk. Jake shook his hand, and said, "Congratulations !". Next day a mob came, got the elk, skinned them, and hung them up in a tree. Of course, they all ate with us too. I used to take a can of milk on a wheelbarrow to their camp.

In 1901 McNutts bought a farm at Humptulips. Stayed there till 1920. The story is told that while McNutts were living in Humptulips, Carl, who was four years of age, was playing with Ernest Evans. Ernest buried him and left him there for about two hours.