Page 172

Another time, a little bear ran up a tree. The mother slapped her paw up against the hemlock and looked at us. We stood still and looked at her. Then evidently deciding we weren't going to harm her or her cub, she turned and went off into the woods. The next day Lyme went after a gun. While he was gone, I heard a bear and took Carl in my arms to look for it. There was a big spruce that lay on the ground and ran about a hundred yards out into the brush. I walked out on it with Carl in my arms. There was the bear feeding. I made that trip several times that day to keep track of the bear. But, when Lyme came home he didn't have the gun.

Another time Lyme and I walked down the road to a woodyard where teamsters cut wood. There we came upon a she-bear with two cubs. We had three dogs with us. There was considerable excitement for a few minutes. Then the mother bear stood at the base of a tree, rested her paw on the trunk and cuffed those cubs up that tree.

Lyme never would 'lay' a fire at night. He got up one morning and went outside to get the kindling. We had recently killed an elk, and had thrown the bones outside. Quite a pile of them lay in the clearing near the house. Lyme rushed back into the kitchen, grabbed his gun and almost before he was out of the cabin, shot. It was a wildcat, and he had it at one shot. It was gnawing on the bones.

Previously Lyme had shot a small bear, and when it fell out of a tree our pug dog took to the woods as hard as he could. But when he shot the wildcat, that dog jumped on top of him.

Money was scarce among the pioneers. Lyme made me a spruce barrel. Cut the staves out and made it. Wild blackberries were plentiful, so I filled it with blackberry jam - 7 or 8 gallons of it. What that would be worth today ! I made butter and cottage cheese and sent it to town by the mail-carrier. Lyme and Johnnie used to catch salmon. One would get below the school of salmon and the other above on the riffle and catch them in his hands as they piled up. At various times I cooked in small logging camps, where my husband was working.

That fall that Carl was two (1896) Fred Williams, Elzy White and Jake Andrews were logging for Williams above Ed Caylor's. I was cook.