Page 170

The Evans family was living on the Lindsey place on this side of the Humptulips River. Lindseys having moved to Montesano. We stayed there overnight. April 15th was Ethel Evans' birthday. Next day we crossed the river in a canoe and swam the mule, and I rode it to the Promised Land. We stopped at the Humptulips Hotel (run by Mrs. Fehse at that time) for dinner. Then, as George's (Scruby's) cabin would not accommodate a woman and baby, we went on to the Boyd place, our nearest neighbors. I stayed there about a week while the boys put an addition on George's house. Then I moved in and cooked for George.

He told me that he had picked out a claim for Johnnie, and that he could also locate me on one, if Lyme would come. I said I thought he would. He said he'd build me a cabin, and if he didn't come we could sell it to someone else. He had promised Frank Roberts to locate him on a homestead, but it had been so long and Frank had not come to see about it. So the boys started riving shakes and built me a cabin. Johnnie also made Carl a high-chair out of vine-maple and fastened it by ropes to a vine-maple pole overhead so that when he tried to swing it would teeter up and down.

I had been with George Scruby about two weeks when Frank Roberts came. He looked so surprised to see a baby in a high-chair and a woman in a bachelor's cabin. He had come to get his claim. But when he found out that I was planning on taking it, he went away and left me in possession.

As soon as Lyman got money enough for his fare he came to the Promised Land and we started to build. Inside we had all home-made furniture, boxes, etc. He made me a bed. Put springs on a wooden frame and fixed it so it folded up against the wall. We had a little iron cook stove with a shelf on the front, four holes on ten, and an oven underneath. I also had some real sterling silver, but eventually the baby put some of it into the stove. When Lyme had to go out to work, Johnnie would come down and stay with me.

Tom Newnham, Ben's brother, had a place around the neck of a marsh from us. They had to dig ditches to drain it. They ditched under a big log instead of moving it, and it lay across the ditch. Johnnie Scruby and I were sitting at the supper table one evening when I looked out the window and asked, "What man is that out in the marsh?"