"The Queets-Quinault Divide Trail climbs up Finaly Ridge from the Quinault Valley North Side Road about four miles above Quinault Lake, and, after reaching the Finley Lookout, follows along the main Divide which is often a sharp ridge between the Quinault and the Queets Drainage areas. It gives access to a number of scenic mountain meadows and furnishes several splendid views of Mount Olympus. It eventually swings down Promise Creek to join the North Fork Quinault Trail, about four miles south of the Low Divide, a total length of forty-two miles.
Some of these mountain trails will doubtless always be just trails - that is, they will never become roads - but will continue to serve the forester, the hunter, and the vacation hiker. But, not, we hope, the moonshiner, like the trails of the southern mountains.
In general, the trails of Washington State have all become roads or are lost and mostly forgotten. And yet, not entirely so. For those who read the history of our State will find so many references to trails that they will, in imagination, re-blaze our trails that they may walk over them again, even though walking has become passe as a means of locomotion."
ROUTES TO THE HARBOR
As before mentioned, the earliest settlers on Gray's Harbor came by wagon road from Grand Mound near Centralia to Ford's Prairie, thence by boat down the Chehalis River to Elma, Satsop, Montesano, Aberdeen, and Hoquiam.
Others came from the East by train to Portland, via boat to Astoria, crossing the Columbia River to Illwaco, thence by stage along the ocean beach to Oysterville, again by boat to North Cove, and by stage to Peterson's Point (now Westport) which had been settled by the Glen Peterson family in 1857. Here they boarded a stern-wheeler for Aberdeen or Hoquiam. (This is the way the writer came with her mother in 1887, her father, Myron E. Horr, having preceded them to a claim on the Wynoochee River.)
After the spring of 1888 when the Northern Pacific Railroad was completed to Tenine, with a narrow-guage spur into Olympia, claim seekers could come from the capitol by stage to Montesano, thence down the Chehallis to Aberdeen and Hoquiam. Later the railroad was extended to Kamilehe and still later to South Aberdeen.